Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Rock Won't Move

Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock. (Isaiah 26:4 ESV)

We introduced a new song a few weeks ago at church called The Rock Won't Move by Vertical Church and it has some very solid truths. The chorus goes:

The Rock won't move and His word is strong.
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone,
The Rock of our salvation.

The first weekend I led that song, I pointed out 3 truths in that chorus.

1. The Rock Won't Move

That alone should be enough to give us confidence in our God, knowing that He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He will not move. No amount of persuasion or pressure will make our God change his plan for the future. He is a firm foundation on which we can rely. That should give us hope and a trust when we have to have faith in situations we are unsure about. We can know that God has a plan that is best for our lives and He is not going to change no matter what! It's hard for us to think of someone being able to be there for us 100% of the time and know that no matter what circumstances are present, that person will do whatever they need to do to make sure that our life is better because of the end result. We can have that trust in The Rock, our God!

2. His Word is Strong

His word is Truth. We can know that all scripture is God breathed and we can go to His word to gain insight to the way God would have us act. I love that we have a solid system to check our lives and actions on because I know that on my own, my selfish desires and earthly wants will be the trump card every time. We don't have any guarantees in life but we do have God's Strong word that is a guarantee to guide us to a better way of living.

3. His LOVE can't be undone

We have a small concept of what Love is here on this earth. Even if you are in the best marriage, have the best friends and family, at some point, someone will let you down. There will come a time that you may not feel as loved as you once did. Love is not a guarantee on this earth but God's love can't be undone. There is nothing you can do that can separate you from the Love of God. We mess up and feel unworthy but God is still right there pursuing you with a reckless abandon. All you have to do is turn around and He is there to embrace you with open arms and forgiveness.  That's not a normal reaction in our human minds but I am SO glad that our God is not normal, our God is perfection.

I will leave you with the rest of the words to the song:

When the ground beneath my feet gives way
And I hear the sound of crashing waves
All my world is washing out to sea
I'm hidden safe in the God who never moves
Holding fast to the promise of the truth
That You are holding tighter still to me

The Rock won't move and His word is strong
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone
The Rock won't move and His word is strong
The Rock won't move and His love can't be undone
The Rock of our Salvation

My hope is in the promise of Your blood
My support within the raging flood
Even in the tempest, I can sing
I'm hidden safe in the God who never moves
Holding fast to the promise of Your truth
That You are holding tighter still to me

On Christ the Solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
The Rock won't move, the Rock won't move
When darkness seems to hide His face
I rest in His unchanging grace
The Rock won't move, the Rock won't move

Grace and Peace
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment